Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Quorn with Ginger, Chilli, and Leeks

(From Vegetarian and Vegetable Cooking by Christine Ingram--a really great vegetarian cook book I picked up when I lived in England. I definitely recommend it, if you can find it. It has a lot of great information about vegetarian ingredients, and the recipes all have multiple pictures showing different steps of the process.)

Ingredients
8 oz Quorn cubes (I used cutlets that I then cut in to cubes myself.)
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp clear honey
2/3 cup vegetable stock
2 tsp flour
1 leek (The recipe says '3 leeks', but I think they mean 3 leaves of leek, as this was PLENTY and more than it looked like in the photo.)
1 red chili - seeded and sliced (I used two small dried chilis)
1 inch piece fresh root ginger - shredded
salt and black pepper to taste
vegetable oil for frying

Method
1. Toss the Quorn in the soy sauce and sherry until well coated and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes. (What I did? Pulled the Quorn cutlets out of the freezer, laid them out in a glass baking dish, poured some extra soy sauce and sherry on them, microwaved them for a minute until they were thawed enough to cut, and cubed them. In the microwave, they sucked up most of the soy sauce and sherry.)
2. Strain the Quorn from the marinde and reserve the juices in a jug. Mix the marinade with the honey, stock, and flour. (Since my Quorn wasn't marinating, I just used new soy sauce and sherry.)
3. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. When hot, stir-fry the Quorn until it is crisp on the outside. Remove Quorn from pan and set aside. (This is where that baking dish comes in handy again.)
4. Reheat the oil and stir-fry the leeks, chili, and ginger until they are just soft. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Return Quorn to the pan, together with the marinade, and stir well until the liquid is thick and glossy. Serve hot with rice or noodles.

Notes
Took about half an hour to make from start to finish. The recipe says it serves 4, but as we were both really hungry, it was good for the two of us.

I served this over rice and with cabbage (lightly sauteed and seasoned with a little soy sauce and black pepper) on the side. It was really good, but I think broccoli might compliment it slightly better.

Additionally, if you've never tried Quorn, it's a fantastic vegetarian alternative to chicken in many dishes. (Although it is NOT vegan--it contains egg white.) It's made of mycoprotein instead of soy, and so has a completely different taste and texture that many find more palatable. Carrie, for example, is not a fan of tofu but buys Quorn products for herself.

If you made this dish with tofu instead of Quorn, it would be vegan.

Verdict
I will definitely be making this again. It was a little spicy (right at Carrie's threshhold and medium-high to my taste) but I did technically put in more chili than the recipe called for, and that's easily regulated if we want to try it a little more mild next time. And served with some sort of vegetable, it's a ridiculously filling and well-balanced meal.

Carrie Says:
I liked this alot. It was at the very upper limits of my spice-threshold, but I still ate two plates. I love Quorn, because it absorbs all the flavors. Seven made it with soy-sauce cabbage, which I love, but she was right--didn't quite compliment the dish as well as some brocolli would have. I would definitely make this one again and again.

No comments: