Thursday, September 4, 2008

Beef and Celery with Rice

I found this idea in the Austin American when they were talking about Chinese culture. I couldn't find the recipe there, in the two minutes I looked for it, but this one came out nicely.

Recipe: beef and celery

Beef and Celery--

Ingredients:
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cups thinly sliced celery
  • 8 oz MorningStar Farms Meal starters, beef strips
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch

Method:
  1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir onions and celery until golden brown; remove from heat and set aside.
  2. In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Place beef slices in the skillet and heat until well browned. Stir in salt, pepper, soy sauce and water.
  3. Add the celery and onion mix. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into skillet. Stirring constantly, heat until thickened. Takes about 5 minutes.
Verdict:
This is how I should have done it. I didn't do the beef tips serperately, and they were too mushy. I think that doing it the way I was supposed to do it would give a nice crisp to the strips and give it a better texture.

I would make this again. It was easy, good, and a nice change to beef and broccoli.






No comments: