Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cheese Fondue

(Recipe from FondueRecipes.org)

Ingredients:
8 oz of shredded chedder cheese.
8 oz shredded emmental chesse.
1 garlic clove.
1 can of beer.*
2 tablespoons of flour.
1 teaspoon of Salt.
Pinch of pepper.

Method:
Mix together all of the ingredients. Melt the mixture and place into a fondue pot.

NOTES
*I used Shiner Bock, a central-Texas specialty and just really good middle-of-the-road beer. (Also so I could toss around words like 'local specialty' and 'you probably can't find it in your area'.) Any medium to dark beer would probably work fine.

Serve with cubes of French bread, cubes of fried potato, steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, cubes of apple, and/or whatever else you have lying around that seems like it could be good with cheese. Go wild!

Do not be fooled by the simplicity of the 'Method'. "Just melt the cheese and put it in the fondue pot!" Apparently you have to be very careful when melting the cheese and not cook it at too hot or cool a temperature lest it become a MASS OF DISGUSTING GLOOP in beer. Incidentally.

VERDICT
Well, I really only wanted to try my hand at fondue because I had discovered a brand new fondue set at Goodwill for only $5 several months earlier and had bought it. Despite the somewhat off-putting texture of the concoction I ended up with, it tasted good, and with all of the dipping items it actually made for a pretty well-balanced and filling meal. I'm not sure how soon I'll be attempting cheese fondue again, but I think I'd like to try some of the oil and dessert varieties, at least.

No comments: