Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mild Coconut Curry

(Original recipe from BBC Food.)

Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1 lemongrass stalk
4 tbsp Puy lentils (I had no idea what these were or where to find them, so I used red lentils. Because that's what we had at home.)
1 tbsp coconut oil (Couldn't find it at the grocery store, so used vegetable oil.)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
125g/4oz green beans
1 [courgette/zucchini], chopped
250g/8oz frozen sweetcorn
300ml/½ pint can coconut milk
1 lime, juice only
1 tbsp chopped [coriander/cilantro] leaves

Method:
1. Put the potatoes, lemongrass and lentils into a medium saucepan and add enough boiling water to just cover the tops of the potatoes. Return to the boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, turmeric and cumin until the onion is soft. Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the coriander, and stir well.
3. Remove the lemongrass from the lentil pan, then add the lentil mixture to the onion mixture.
4. Simmer everything for about 10 minutes, or until the lentils are soft, then add the chopped [coriander/cilantro].

NOTES
I served this over rice and with an onion naan on the side that I picked up frozen from my local supermarket.

This recipe makes a LOT of curry. Carrie and I both ate until we were stuffed and there were still a good two servings left.

VERDICT
I'd tasted this sort of Thai-ish curry before, but had never actually tried to make it myself, so I had no idea how it would turn out. I might have preferred it slightly more flavorful (it is very mild) but it was still delicious and surprisingly filling for what was essentially a plate of vegetables and starch. A great warm-weather meal.

No comments: